Tonca’s turning 53 on Saturday, July 13 and everyone is invited to his party! Since 1994 this adored Alligator snapping turtle has been MOSH’s unofficial mascot. Along with the festivities, visitors will also get a rare opportunity to see Tonca up-close for his annual weigh-in and check-up. This is the only day of the year that Tonca is removed from MOSH’s Hixon Native Plant Courtyard. Come celebrate with us at MOSH!
SCHEDULE OF EVENTS:
10 a.m. — 2 p.m.
- Scavenger Hunt! Win a prize when you find all of Tonca’s friends!
Wells Fargo with other activities
- Wish Tonca a Happy Birthday and be entered to win a plush from The MOSH Store!
- Water Analysis Station
- Science Demo Carts throughout the Museum
1st & 2nd Floor
- Special treat for guests of Tonca
- MOSH Member Lounge
Learning Lab on the 3rd Floor
The Member’s Lounge will give our members an exclusive space to relax and take a break from the crowds. You’ll be able to sit back and grab a snack while enjoying fun science videos and a live streaming of Tonca’s Weigh-In!
- Animal Encounters
- 10:30 a.m. @ Florida Naturalist’s Center on the 1st Floor
Come meet the different members of North Florida’s turtle family! Our Naturalists will tell you how everyday citizens like you can help protect our turtles and their habitats.
- 11:30 a.m. @ Florida Naturalist’s Center on the 1st Floor
Greet a Gator
Come to the Florida Naturalist’s Center for an up close and personal meeting with our resident baby American alligators! Learn some interesting facts about the babies, as well as the fierce predators they’ll someday become.
- 12:15 p.m. MOSH Member’s Only Animal Encounter @ Hixon Native Plant Courtyard on the 1st Floor
Celebrate Tonca by learning more about what makes him a special turtle! Let a Naturalist take you on a guided adventure through Tonca’s home, the Hixon Native Plant Courtyard.
- Invertebrate Encounters
- 11 a.m. @ Atlantic Tails on the 1st Floor
- 2 p.m. @ Atlantic Tails on the 1st Floor
- Tonca’s Annual Weigh-In & Check-Up
- Special presentation about Tonca during his check-up
Jacksonville Zoo & Gardens W.I.L.D. Program